We were able to complete and deliver the sideboard. We were thrilled to have another happy customer. It was a pleasure working with you, DRG!
The stain has been applied and the entire shop draped in prep for the Polyurethane. The first coats of Poly have been applied to the underside of the shelves and drawers. Because of the low temperatures at night, we have to go a bit slowly in applying the poly coats to be sure each one properly cures.
More progress has been made on knocking out the punch list. We’ve added shelf pin recesses to the underside of the shelves (so the shelves cannot easily slide off the pins even if a little one pulls on them) and a decorative edge profile to each shelf. No plain Jane shelves for our customers!
The hardware needs to test fit and the Mahogany distressed (at our customer’s request). We’ll take our time with finish sanding, remove the test fix hardware, and protect the drawer runners and drawer stops. This is an important step that cannot be rushed. Any thing missed in these pre-finish step will show like a sore thumb in the finished product.
Then I think we’ll be ready to begin the finishing process. During the finish process, updates will slow a bit as there is quite a bit of “watching the paint” dry time. However, rest assured… we’re hard at work.
The punch list (the list of items yet to complete) is getting shorter and shorter. The vast majority of the building is complete. Pictured you will see the sideboard top with routed profile and the glued up center shelf. Since the center shelf is fairly long, we have made it eight time stronger by laminating 2 pieces of mahogany. This will insure the shelf will not sag over time and will hold those heirloom art pieces securely.
Next on the list is to route the adjustable shelf pin holes for the center shelf, install the hardware, attach the top via extra strong figure eight holders and a few more odds and ends. Then comes the finishing.
Our weather right now is in the 70s and 80s during the day and then drops into the 30s-40s at night. This yo-yo’ing makes finishing a bit difficult in that it takes a lot longer to complete. We cannot rush the drying process in between coats or we risk not having a proper finish.